How will London develop over the next 20-25 years? As a city which is home to some of the richest and poorest in the country, growing in population by 70,000 every year – how will our Capital remain sustainable, affordable, inclusive, green and safe?
Well, the recently adopted London Plan 2021 after its lengthy consultation, with revised polices and aspirations, has now come into effect, and here’s what the new plan sets out to achieve:
- A housing target of 52,282 homes every year – over a 10 year period
- 9 broad Opportunity Areas with capacity for 460,000 homes over the plan period with huge opportunities throughout London for landowners / developers
- Small sites (1 – 25 homes) should play a much greater role in housing delivery
- 50% affordable housing target with a fast-track approach
- Emergency housing types – purpose-build co-living, build to rent and extra care accommodation
- Consideration for design-led density on a site-to-site basis (removing the previous density matrix)
- Release of land in the green belt or industrial land to accommodate growth
- New policies to tackle climate change and air quality such as the urban green initiative
You can read the full plan here
Housing in London has always been a contentious issue and building homes is an ever-present priority.
“There is no question we face some huge challenges ahead. But this London Plan is an opportunity we must grasp to shape the future of our city for generations to come – not only in regard to the way it look and feels, but in its character and how Londoners live prosperous and fulfilling lives.”
Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London
As leaders of developmental proposal and policy changes, and offices in London, Cheltenham and Gloucester– SF Planning is perfectly placed to support your city planning needs. We work throughout many London Boroughs and within the southeast and our services include;
- Planning applications
- Planning appeals
- Site appraisals and development potential
- Project management
- Specialist projects
Take a look at some of our incredible clients and residential and mixed use schemes.
“We are planning consultants and offer town planning advice all over the UK. We are particularly interested in the London Plan 2021, given its focus on delivering on design led development throughout London and the promotion of small sites which are often complex and require early input from a planning consultant..”
Simon Firkins, SF Planning
We’d like to talk to you if you need help or advice with anything related to The London Plan 2021. SF Planning can help you choose the appropriate route, take you through the process and prepare documentation.
You can call us on 01242 231 575 or email the team at email@example.com.